Image Editing Software
- Adobe Photoshop - Used to check the conformance of master images to required standards and to generate derivative images as necessary. We have upgraded Photoshop to the latest edition ever since version 7.
- SilverFast (Mac OS X version) - Used for scanning with an Epson Expression 10000 XL scanner
File Management Software
- ACDSee Pro (ACDSee Systems) - Used to manage images on hard disks. It indexes filenames and embeds metadata, allows for virtual collections, and has built in browsing features missing in Photoshop -- though Adobe's Bridge offers similar functionality.
- IrfanView (free) - Used for quick viewing of images
- 1-4a Rename (free) - Used for batch renaming of files.
Metadata Creation Tools
Text Markup Tools
- <oXygen/>™ - XML editor (commercial software, SyncRO Soft Ltd.) - Used to validate the TEI/XML files.
Dynamic Web Page Creation Tools
- PHP (ver. 5.x) (free). - A scripting language used to compose front-end to CONTENTdm and to send XQuery requests to eXist, the XML database, and format the results in XHTML with the help of Cascading Stylesheets and XSL stylesheets.
- PHP + libxml - Used to convert XML (TEI) files into XHTML for browser viewing.
- CSE HTML Validator - Used to validate HTML and CSS file <http://www.htmlvalidator.com/>
- DeKnop: button manager - A graphics editor that is designed to let you create buttons for your web site without requiring any graphic design experience. By hovering the cursor over a color on the monitor, it reports the color's HEX code.
- CleanCSS - An online tool that compresses a CSS file for download optimization.
- W3C Markup Validation Service (free) - Used to validate (X)HTML.
- CSS Validation Service (W3C) (free) - Used to validate CSS (stylesheets).
The tools are locations at "/matrix/dl/dl-scripts".
Create Folders - A PHP script that creates folders from an array of names in anticipation of moving files into them in preparation for importing records into CONTENTdm.
Move Files - A PHP script that read a directory containing all images and move images for each document into a separate directory as required by CONTENTdm. It also creates directory names starting from "1" or from any other number specified.
Rename Files - A PHP script that reads one array containing existing filenames and changes them to the corresponding name in a second array.
oai2mets - An experimental PHP script that reads OAI data and converts it to METS.
XSLT scripts - A battery of XSLT files that create specific kinds of lists from TEI files. Used to create lists to populate drop-down select lists for search forms.
Compile issues - A PHP scripts that reads separate text files and combines them into a single file.
(Reviewed: September 27, 2009)